Just a guy far from home sharing skewed views and ridiculous rants for your reading pleasure. This blog is mostly harmless. Mostly.

Links to older posts are listed in the subtopics link to your right. Lower. Lower. TOO LOW!

Lower...

Winter is coming...only the exact opposite of what I just said. 3/9/2016

So yesterday was the day.

Yesterday was the day when I could feel it in the air.

It was a very Phil Collins moment....


Whoa whoa whoa...not that kind of Phil Collins moment...


That's more like it.

Still pretty creepy though.

Anyway, it has finally happened.

It is time.

Yesterday on my commute home...which actually takes longer to say than the actual commute...I stopped just in front of my door and felt something I hadn't felt in a while.

Something foreign, yet familiar.

I slowly turned around as a breeze passed by me...much like it would in a high end Hollywood movie they will no doubt be stitching together about my life any day now...and I gazed upward.

And there it was.  It had always been there, sure.  But today...

Today it was...different.

Although on this afternoon, if you looked closely...which is totally recommended kids.  Get out there and stare into that sun.  You'll thank me for it later.  You won't be able to see me, but inside under the scorched retna's you'll be all kinds of thankful.

The sun on this day was not the typical sand-covered ball o' hydrogen and helium I had very much enjoyed the past few months.  It had a certain something...

LOOK HIM IN THE EYE.  I DARE YOU!

So what did this mean?

I contemplated the ramifications of this new development as I went upstairs and changed out of my work clothes - which I look fabulous in - and into my chill clothes - which, oddly enough, I look fabulous in as well.

"What could it be?" I thought as I got my shoes off.

"It has to mean SOMETHING, right?" I pondered as I put my tie back into the drawer.

"I feel something on my forehead.  Is that a bug or something?" I inquired to myself as I put on my shorts and t-shirt.

It was then that it happened.  I wiped my hand across my forehead to get the probable bug off of me.

But it was no bug.

It was...it was a bead of sweat.

One.
      Single.
               Drop,

But I may as well have looked like this:


For the past 3 months here it has been beautiful.

I mean absolutely perfect.  The temperature has been between about 16 C (About 60 to 75 F) and 25 C every day.  Nice cool breezes when you need them.  Not a drop of rain.  Just perfect days.

This brought back memories of my arrival in Bahrain.  Brief flashes, all faded through the mist of time, yes, but it stirred something best left to rot.

I remembered.

Like a wild fire that starts with a single spark, I remembered.

THIS PLACE IS THE DESERT AND IT IS ABOUT TO GET HOTTER THAN HELL SOON.

I can hear you.  "Haha.  Come on, it isn't that bad.  You're exaggerating!"


I remember last August.

Bright eyed and bushy tailed I stepped off the airplane and into an inferno.

Not a bad inferno, it was a very friendly inferno, as far as infernos go.

But still, it is the kind of place where you can look outside and see something like this:

It is even too hot for the trees.
THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE BUT HERE WE ARE.

The temperature has already started it steadily increasing climb into the red. 

There may be only a few days left of reasonable temperatures - so how will I spend them?

CURLED INTO THE FETAL POSITION LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DREADING THE INEVITABLE SCORCH FROM OUR CRUEL AND INDIFFERENT SKY FURNACE.

What else can you do?

I laughed when I first got here - people would drive to houses that were no more than 200 meters away.

HA!

Howls of derisive laughter!

But now I get it.  I am working on a design to have a sort of space suit that has a tube that runs all the way back to my air conditioning unit.  Let's just say my alabaster complexion doesn't tan or handle heat well...and all the chicken wings and beer have also created a healthy buffer layer that keeps the heat in.

Okay, I am not really working on that.  Anything that is work means effort and effort means sweat and IT IS TOO DAMN HOT (soon) TO DO THAT KIND OF THING.

So the joyride is over.  The sun has decided to reclaim its domain over this island in the middle of the Arabian Gulf.

I will be safe as long as my AC units don't fail on me.  And what are the odds they will fail for the 4th time this year?

Yep.  100%.






\




No comments:

Post a Comment