Just a guy far from home sharing skewed views and ridiculous rants for your reading pleasure. This blog is mostly harmless. Mostly.

Links to older posts are listed in the subtopics link to your right. Lower. Lower. TOO LOW!

Lower...

What did I get America for its birthday? 7/5/2015

A lot of people have a hard time thinking what to get someone for their birthday.  Sometimes, like if you hate the person but don't want them to know it you can just get them a gift card and have it mailed with a typed message, but what if the birthday is from someone that you actually like?

Unfortunately you can't do the gift card and sterile message.  You have to actually put some time and effort into finding them the perfect gift.


So, on this July 4th I wanted to get America something special.

Moving overseas meant holidays were a bit different.  I spent Christmas in a hotel and New Years in an empty bar in a fort in Sri Lanka.  I am not complaining, but it kind of changes the way you see holidays.  You have to make them special or they can end up just being another day.

So, for Christmas I downloaded a bunch of movies I loved as a kid and Skyped with my friend Tashy in Australia.

For New Years I got drunk on warm coconut rum and orange soda while I watched a few bar employees hop over the railing to help support the fireworks display that was tipping over and in danger of burning the place down.


Each of those, while not the traditional method of celebrating, is something I won't forget and was still pretty special.

But with another holiday which is important to me, the 4th of July - America's Independence Day - it meant I had to find some way to do something I would also remember.

Being in Australia means there wasn't much to BBQ, it being dead of winter here and all, so that wasn't an option.

What could Australia provide that would remind me of home and what it means to be American?

You're damn right - meat and beer.




The way I see it - the perfect thing to get America would be to eat and drink like an American...

...too much of both. 

I haven't been out to a nice steak or ribs dinner in a year - and one thing I know is Australia does meat right.  Most of the meat you can buy at the supermarket - apart from chicken and lamb, comes from Australia in Bahrain.  But it is a long haul to get the meat there, so getting really fresh and quality cuts of meat isn't so easy.

It was time.

I would stuff my face with ribs and steak - and then pour some beer down to fill in the gaps.

Even though there were no fireworks and no one blew a finger off being irresponsible - it still worked out to be a pretty memorable 4th.  Ribs, steak, beer, and even topped it off by introducing Tashy to some reaaaalllll classy country music about mama, trains, gettin' drunk, and showing your boobs.

USA! USA! USA!


I know some people just kind of blow it off and let the day pass - and I know some people throw their own over-the-top parties - I guess it is whatever works for you!  How would you celebrate a national holiday if you were far from home?

Leave me a comment and let me know how you do it!


As always, thank you SO much for reading!  If you have some time to kill and love your country and all, why not head over and check out my latest video on my YouTube Channel?  Don't forget to subscribe to have all the awesome dropped right into your inbox!  Thanks, everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment