Just a guy far from home sharing skewed views and ridiculous rants for your reading pleasure. This blog is mostly harmless. Mostly.

Links to older posts are listed in the subtopics link to your right. Lower. Lower. TOO LOW!

Lower...

WHERE IN THE WORLD AM I (in 3 months) 5/5/2015

First of all, take that, today's date.

You don't know if I put the day or the month first in the title, do ya?

Damn right you don't.


OWNED.

Anyway, this is a call to all of you lovely people out there who read this blog, (AND WILL CERTAINLY LIVE A FULLER, MORE AMAZING LIFE BECAUSE YOU DO!) I need some help!

I have some time this summer to travel.  Now, before you get all salty just understand that I am a 10 month employee.  I don't get paid for 12 months.  I get paid for 10.  10, see?  So why not travel if I am not getting paid?

I have the first leg already planned out.  I am going to fly from Bahrain to Sydney, and then Sydney to Canberra.  After some time there looking at nippled skywhales and throwing barbies at the shrimp, (these people are fucking crazy) I am going to fly home.

I will land in the USA on July 27, so any parades you have planned can now have an actual "go time".

Here is the problem I am facing - if you could even call it a problem...

I will be leaving the USA on about August 14th.  I have to be here on about August 23rd.

So, this leaves me some days in between to take a trip somewhere - just over a week including travel time etc.

WHERE DO I GO!?

First off, I bet you have a place in mind - and that is AWESOME!  GOOD THINKING!

But wait, we need to establish some rules first.

Rule 1:


These are the places I have been by then - and I would like to do some more travel before I leave the Middle East and end up far away from all this cool stuff.

US, Australia, Scotland, England, Greece, Sri Lanka, India.

They are off the list.

Rule 2:

I would like to keep the travel inside this area - the reason being I don't want to fly OVER Bahrain and then turn back around to fly in.  Would cost more and is dumb.


So this means I would like to keep it to this general kind of area.  It leaves the Atlantic, Northern Africa and Western Europe, with a touch of Eastern Europe and Scandinavia.

I would like to add a HUGE asterisk here...

*

No...bigger...




There we go.

I would like to keep places like Oman, Turkey, and Jordan off the final list.  Not that I don't want to go - I am so excited for the Blue Mosque in Istanbul and the scenery in Oman and Petra in Jordan...but I can do that in a short time period since I live close here in the Arabian Gulf.

Rule 3:

It should be a place I can kind of "see" in about 7 days.  I don't plan to stay here in Bahrain forever. So I would like to see a lot of this area while I can.  I have a pretty good idea of where I will be next, and it is about as far from here as one can get.  Which makes getting back here a $2500 plane ticket instead of $700.

I loved Greece, LOVED IT.  But, I can do that over a shorter time period.  I won't have a ton of chances to tour for extended time when I get back, so I would like to knock out as much as I can that I haven't seen - and closer places like Greece I can do a long weekend in again if I would like.

So, when I say I want to "see" a place in 7 days, it means I want to be able to get a taste for what the place has to offer.  Germany?  I would love to go there.  But I don't think I could really get around such a big place and see all the stuff I want to see there.  Hopefully I can explain better below...

So, there ya go.

3 Rules.  Simple!

1 - Not on the "already seen list"

2 - Should be in the area given

3 - Should be a place I can kind of "see" in about 7 days. 

Now, I am not relying completely on you all. 

YO, IT'S LIKE YOU ALL DON'T EVEN SEE THE COMMENT BUTTON OH GOD I AM SO LONELY WHYYYYY DON'T YOU LOVE ME?

What this means is I have a plan...


Well, if you know me, "a plan" means I have about 3,662 options and I will panic and select one at the last minute.

So...HEY ARE YOU STILL READING?  FOCUS!

So, here is what I have so far - I have a list of 3 places that crept to the top of my list...

#1 - ICELAND

Right!?


Hell yeah!  And I was ALMOST the happiest guy ever when I found out I could buy a ticket to a European country, and IcelandAir would drop me in Iceland for a week...free!

Deal is still on!

But, I am a one-way flier.  You'd have to actually go back to the USA.  Since I am possibly never going to come back for good, this deal will hopefully serve you better than it has served me.

That shit is racist against one-way fliers, man.

So Iceland is only about $280 from Baltimore.  It is a heck of a deal!  Being a small country I could tool around and see quite a bit and it is a beautiful place.  Lots of daylight also, so I would be sure not to sleep at all.

The people, the view, the possible weird liquors they have, the seafood, and it is touristy enough I wouldn't have to plan it all from scratch.

So what is the problem?

First of all, you're being kind of pushy.

The issue is a few things.  One, it costs almost as much to fly from Iceland to Bahrain as it does from Baltimore to Bahrain - the bigger issue the flight out of Iceland to a place that does fly into Bahrain means 3 layovers on a 14 hour trek back to work.

The second issue would be the fact that, as a solo traveler, I would be exempt from doing a few things that are more orientated toward "the group".  Yes, I can take a glacier tour etc, but if I did it with 3 friends the cost would be 1/3 the cost.

So the harbor tours, the glaciers and volcano guides - I would have to either get very lucky with my timing, or pay 4 times as much as if I was with people.

Has anyone been?  Can I see all of this stuff without paying an arm and a leg?  Or could I do some solo hiking on my own and spend some time in cities and villages sprinkled around and still feel like I "saw" Iceland?

These are all secondary, however, and Iceland tops my list so far.


#2 IRELAND


Right!?

Now, I have a few reasons for wanting to go to the Emerald Isle.

First, I have always wanted to go - just the views and all seem like something I wouldn't want to miss.  

Second, DID YOU KNOW THEY LIKE BEER AND WHISKY!?

Of course you did.  And potatoes.  And since I adore both of those as well, seems like I would fit right in.

Ireland is touted as one of the friendliest places in the world.  I have rarely heard a bad word about the place from travelers, and they always feel welcome.  It is beautiful and has history, I could spent my day driving through the countryside or hiking along the coast to some ruined castle.

Every night I could meet new pals in the pub, I feel like there will be a few pubs laying around.

So what is the issue with Ireland?

Well, there really isn't an issue with Ireland.  It would be a sure-fire place to be for me if not for one thing...

I kind of want to spend Christmas there.

I would be traveling solo again, and while I am not the most sentimental of people, spending Christmas with friendly people would be nice.

But what about the weather?  Would it be best to go now when it isn't as blustery?

I also know I want to see the Aegean - which would be better for Christmas?  I don't need parties or anything - just places that are open and serve me til I run out of money.

I can see most of the country in the time allotted and do quite a bit - the history and tours can be self-research and guided by me and my trusty notebook - much like Greece was.

I don't know - THIS IS WHY I AM ASKING FOR HELP!



#3 DENMARK


Right!?

This place made the list for a few reasons.  One, I think I could actually sneak out of the country for a day to see another one and that would be a fun little adventure.  Two, it has the history and charm I am looking for, as well as many places to go out, sit down, and make some friends.

It seems like a less islandy kind of Iceland, really.  Rich history and culture, lots of walking to do.  I wouldn't have to drive because of the rail and bus system being top of the line.  Plenty to do and see, and even the chance to sneak over to Belgium or into Germany for a day or two.

So why isn't this place higher?

Well, it is a beautiful place, but it just lacks the little extra something the last two places have.  Maybe I don't know enough about it?  Very true - I certainly don't.

But Amsterdam doesn't interest me for the hookers and drugs - I much prefer a good beer to both.  It interests me for the history and the architecture and the people.  Where else would I go in Denmark?  I admit I haven't done a lot of looking into it, mostly because the first two places have consumed my thoughts and time.


# HONORABLE MENTION 
The Dalmatian Coast, Croatia


Right!?

The Dalmatian Coast in Croatia as a very honorable mention.  I didn't even know this existed a little while ago.

In Croatia and apparently becoming a new "hot spot for European travel", the Dalmatian Coast is a sight to behold.  I would rent a car and make my way from one place to another - but since I don't know enough about it yet it has not been able to crack the top 3 list.

I hadn't even considered Croatia before, but places like this - places like Beirut - places like Cyprus - they have all slowly been changed in my mind as to what they are and what to expect.  And it is absolutely awesome.

Now, maybe you are wondering why I am only listing 1st world countries on this list?

My last two trips were to the 3rd world - and I have seen the poor and fed the homeless.  I over tipped and I said "Namaste" until my palms were raw.  I didn't touch the cows and visited tsunami ridden monuments.

I would just like a change is all.

So what do you think?

I am serious - even if you've never been - would you like to go?  Do you have an ex-bosses cousin's friends dog walkers' roommates 3rd nephew who went and you know some inside information?  What did you always want to see?  

Leave a comment below and help me out, please!

Thanks for reading!


Also, if you have time head over to my YouTube channel and give it a look.  It has been a while since I advertised it here.  I put out about 2-3 videos a week, with the occasional Vlog (video blog) to be sprinkled in from time to time.

Just click on the video below and then click the orange subscribe button on the left of the video will do the rest! I appreciate all your reading and watching and support of my never ending quest to not be boring!


No comments:

Post a Comment